As we return from the autumn training break our track running sessions resume this week. Let me give you some compelling reasons to add a track session to your training plan.
We coaches see remarkable improvements in running ability and faster race times as a result of just one track session each week. Some age group triathletes think running on an athletics track is only for speedy young people but we know it will help all triathletes whatever your age or ability. Even those aiming at an Ironman distance race can benefit because a track session will make you a more efficient runner. Here are 7 compelling reasons to take part in a weekly track running session:
- Running technique improves. This happens because your coaches will give you feedback. Slight changes in your body position, how you use your arms, where you carry tension can make you far more efficient when you run.
- You will be introduced to a proper running warm up. Something you can do every time you go out running. This will improve the effectiveness of all your training and racing
- You will do some running drills. These are designed to improve your running technique and activate the muscle groups you will use when you run. This will help reduce your probability of getting injured
- You will run faster. The track is a flat, smooth surface ideal for running faster. As you run faster your technique improves. Your body also begins to understand what it feels like to run faster. It becomes used to running quickly. You can’t expect to race at a higher pace if you have never experienced running at this speed.
- You will get fitter. A higher intensity session each week has been shown to rapidly increase your fitness. Train most of the time at low intensity but one session should be high intensity. The track session gives a controlled environment for completing a higher intensity session
- The track session is a great opportunity to ask qualified, experienced coaches for advice. Before the session, at the end even during the warm up you can chat about your goals, your progress and for hints and tips to help you through those times when your training isn’t going so well.
- Track running helps you become more aware of your running. You will notice when your technique is faltering. Your awareness of running pace becomes more skilled. It helps you become more attuned to your running efficiency
Whatever your age, ability or experience, a weekly track session will bring rapid improvements to your running. We highly recommend you add this session into your weekly training plan.